RE: how connect visual basic to pgsql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Philip Warner
Subject RE: how connect visual basic to pgsql?
Date
List pgsql-general
At 16:36 24/07/00 +0530, anuj wrote:

>>> This deriver made for Win95.
>>> I am using Win-Nt-Wks-4.0.
>>> Is this possible this due to different OS's ?
>>> Best Regard,
>>> Anuj
>
>>What kind of application do you use and where did you install your ODBC
>DSN?
>
>I don't know , Where  I have installed but I am able to see 'OLE DB provider
>for ODBC driver' entry.

Where do you see this?

>>If your application is a service, or if you plan to share this DSN across
>>multiple users, you should install it under 'System DSN' entry.
>
>I make a 'System DSN' name pg.

And what did you set the port, server, dbname etc to?

>>This driver work perfectly on Windows NT 4.0 Server, Windows 2000
>>Professional and Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I used it to connect MS SQL
>>Server 7.0 to PostgreSQL database through 'OLE DB provider for ODBC driver'
>>and succeded in it. I did not test it on Windows NT Workstation 4.0, but I
>>see no reason why this driver shouldn't work on it.
>
>>Alex Bolenok.

Works for me on NT4 SP6.

>My connection string is :
>Provider=MSDASQL.1;Password=tempdb;Persist Security Info=True;User
>ID=postgres;Data Source=pg

So you are using an ADO data control for OLEDB, is that right?

>Postgres running on Linux RH-6.0 (HTTP,SAMBA services not working. Telnet
>and FTP working fine.).
>Other side I have VB-6.0 on Windows-NT-Workstations 4.0.
>
>After reinstall the VB6.0 the error msg. has been changed.
>Now new error is : "could not connect to the server, could not connect to
>the remote socket."

This looks like either (1) postgres is not running on the server - can you
do 'psql pg' (or whatever the db name in the DSN is). Or 2, you put the
wrong port in the DSN.

(A.C.N. 008 659 498)             |          /(@)   ______---_
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|
PGP key available upon request,  |  /