Problem with inserting newlines and ' characters - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alan Horn
Subject Problem with inserting newlines and ' characters
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

This may actually be more of a limitation with the DBD::Pg perl driver.
I'm not sure.

Basically I'm using DBD::Pg in a perl script which inserts data into a
very simple table.

The statement I'm using is thus :

my($sth) = $dbh->prepare("insert into maintenance (sno, date, data) values
('$sno', '$date', '$tmpstring')");

(all on one line of course...)

My problem is this. $tmpstring may well contain embedded newlines or '
characters (these are the two characters I've had problems with so far).

I don't want to go down the route of rewriting those characters into
something 'unique' and decoding whenever I extract information from the
table. That's always struck me as a bit of a kludge.

So, is it a problem with postgresql, or DBD::Pg, or (most likely) what I'm
doing with them... ?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Al