table constraints and performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brian Maguire
Subject table constraints and performance
Date
List pgsql-general
Could someone provide me with some information in regards to the
performance implications of applying constraints on a table?  Are there
any safe guards?

The basic scenario is that there is a table that has 80% updates and
inserts and 20% selects.  I would like to restrict duplicate inserts
from user double clicking or other user behavior such as refresh.

I am after advice on what the performance implications would be on
placing restraints on a table vs. writing business logic code.

Thanks,
Brian