Re: Replication Ideas - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Replication Ideas
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:06:22AM -0700, Chris Travers wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> >This is vaguely similar to Two Phase Commit, which is a sine qua
> >non of distributed transactions, which is the s.q.n. of multi-master
> >replication.
>
> I may be wrong, but if I recall correctly, one of the problems with a
> standard 2-phase commit is that if one server goes down, the other
> masters cannot commit their transactions.

Before the discussion goes any further, have you read the work related
to Postgres-r?  It's a substantially different animal from 2PC AFAIK.

"Right now the sectors on the hard disk run clockwise, but I heard a rumor that
you can squeeze 0.2% more throughput by running them counterclockwise.
It's worth the effort. Recommended."  (Gerry Pourwelle)