Re: Replication Ideas - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Replication Ideas
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 12:06, Chris Travers wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> >This is vaguely similar to Two Phase Commit, which is a sine qua
> >non of distributed transactions, which is the s.q.n. of multi-master
> >replication.
> >

> I may be wrong, but if I recall correctly, one of the problems with a
> standard 2-phase commit is that if one server goes down, the other
> masters cannot commit their transactions.  This would make a clustered
> database server have a downtime equivalent to the total downtime of all
> of its nodes.  This is a real problem.  Of course my understanding of
> Two Phase Commit may be incorrect, in which case, I would appreciate it
> if someone could point out where I am wrong.

Note that I didn't mean to imply that 2PC is sufficient to implement
M-M.  The DBMS designer(s) must decide what to do (like queue up
changes) if 2PC fails.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Our computers and their computers are the same color. The
conversion should be no problem!"
Unknown