Re: updated emacs configuration - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: updated emacs configuration
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 09:04:02PM -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> On Sun, 2014-06-08 at 21:55 -0400, Noah Misch wrote:
>>> After upgrading to GNU Emacs 23.4.1 from a version predating directory-local
>>> variables, I saw switch/case indentation go on the fritz.  My hooks were
>>> issuing (c-set-style "postgresql"), but ".dir-locals.el" set it back to plain
>>> "bsd" style.

>> I'd consider just getting rid of the
>>
>> (c-file-style . "bsd")
>>
>> setting in .dir-locals.el and put the actual interesting settings from
>> the style in there.
>>
>> Another alternative is to change emacs.samples to use
>> hack-local-variables-hook instead, as described here:
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LocalVariables

> Those are reasonable alternatives.  The ultimate effect looks similar for all
> three options, to the extent that I don't see a basis for forming a strong
> preference.  Do you have a recommendation?

The more Ludd^H^H^Hcautious among us run with(setq enable-local-variables nil)
and would rather not see the configuration recommendations overcomplicated
due to an attempt to play nice with directory-local settings we're ignoring
anyway.  So I'd vote for Peter's first option, ie, kluge up .dir-locals.el
not the configuration code.