Re: pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF
Date
Re: pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF  (David Link <dvlink@yahoo.com>)
Re: pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF  (Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>)
List pgsql-general
David Link <dvlink@yahoo.com> writes:
> [4] LOG:  pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
> [4] LOG:  server process (pid 28353) was terminated by signal 11
> [5] LOG:  terminating any other active server processes

That's not what I would call a "scaling issue" :-(

Can you get us a stack backtrace from the crashed backend?  Since
this is linux, you probably aren't getting core files (look for
$PGDATA/base/nnnnnn/core) --- if not, restart the postmaster under
"ulimit -c unlimited" (best to add that to its startup script).
Once you have a core file, try

    gdb /path/to/postgres-executable /path/to/core-file
    gdb> bt
    gdb> p debug_query_string
    gdb> quit

It would also be worthwhile to enable log_statement in postgresql.conf
so that you can get more info on the command or series of commands that
leads up to the crash.

Also, if you compiled Postgres yourself, it would be worth the trouble
to recompile with --enable-debug and --enable-cassert added to whatever
configure parameters you used before.  I'm not sure what it takes to do
the equivalent in an RPM-based installation.

            regards, tom lane