Re: deprecating contrib for PGXN - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: deprecating contrib for PGXN
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com> writes:
> On May 18, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>> The other problem is that the facility we need to provide the most is
>> binary distributions (think apt-get).  Lots of site won't ever compile
>> stuff on their production servers.  So while PGXN is a good tool, it's
>> not a universal answer.

> Yeah, I would think that, *if* we were to seriously look at deprecating contrib (and I'm not suggesting that at all),
onewould *first* need to solve the binary distribution problems.

> I think building tools so that PGXN distributions are automatically harvested and turned into StackBuilder/RPM/.deb
binarieswould be the place to start on that.

Hmmm ... I think the real point of those policies about "no source
builds" is to ensure that their systems are only running code that's
been vetted to some degree by a responsible person (ie, an authorized
packager for whatever distro they run).  So any sort of automated
collection of packages would go directly against what the policies are
trying to accomplish, and would likely lead to the policies being
amended to specifically ban use of your repo :-(