Re: deprecating contrib for PGXN - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: deprecating contrib for PGXN
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On May 18, 2011, at 1:23 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

>> I think building tools so that PGXN distributions are automatically harvested and turned into StackBuilder/RPM/.deb
binarieswould be the place to start on that.

> Hmmm ... I think the real point of those policies about "no source
> builds" is to ensure that their systems are only running code that's
> been vetted to some degree by a responsible person (ie, an authorized
> packager for whatever distro they run).  So any sort of automated
> collection of packages would go directly against what the policies are
> trying to accomplish, and would likely lead to the policies being
> amended to specifically ban use of your repo :-(

Well, it's up to the maintainers of those repos whether they want use such a feed. Magnus and Devrim seemed interested
init on Twitter last week; Magnus, in fact, originally suggested it.
 https://twitter.com/magnushagander/status/65431239770898434

Best,

David