Re: deprecating contrib for PGXN - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: deprecating contrib for PGXN
Date
Re: deprecating contrib for PGXN  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: deprecating contrib for PGXN  (Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr>)
List pgsql-hackers
On May 18, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:

> The other problem is that the facility we need to provide the most is
> binary distributions (think apt-get).  Lots of site won't ever compile
> stuff on their production servers.  So while PGXN is a good tool, it's
> not a universal answer.

Yeah, I would think that, *if* we were to seriously look at deprecating contrib (and I'm not suggesting that at all),
onewould *first* need to solve the binary distribution problems.

I think building tools so that PGXN distributions are automatically harvested and turned into StackBuilder/RPM/.deb
binarieswould be the place to start on that.

Best,

David