Re: deprecating contrib for PGXN - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: deprecating contrib for PGXN
Date
Re: deprecating contrib for PGXN  ("David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Darren Duncan <darren@darrenduncan.net> writes:
> Would now be a good time to start deprecating the contrib/ directory as a
> way to distribute Pg add-ons, with favor given to PGXN and the like instead?

The first important fact is that contrib/ code is maintained by the
PostgreSQL-core product team, and I guess they prefer to have it all in
a single git repository.  Some contribs are only there so that we know
when we break extensibility features, so it would be bad to move them
away.

The other problem is that the facility we need to provide the most is
binary distributions (think apt-get).  Lots of site won't ever compile
stuff on their production servers.  So while PGXN is a good tool, it's
not a universal answer.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine