Re: Certification - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bob Lunney
Subject Re: Certification
Date
Re: Certification
Re: Certification
List pgsql-advocacy
Ah,  the old "certification" fallacy!

Certifications, like degrees, only tell hiring managers and recruiters the certification holder has passed a set of
requirementsand/or tests, which may or may not be available or even comprehensible to the interested party.  They say
nothingabout work ethic, native intelligence, ability to work and play well with others, ingenuity, broader knowledge
base,or effectiveness.  Consequently I have found them useless in making hiring decisions (although those were Oracle
DBAs)and suspect the certification process was being promoted as a necessity to sell more training courses.

I know EnterpriseDB and CertFirst provide certification programs.  A quick Google search shows this effort has been
attemptedbefore by SRA.  I do not know the quality of these programs.

I, for one, am more likely to ask if someone has read Greg Smith's book ("Who's Greg Smith?" - out at first), which
mailinglists they are follow and how often ("What mailing list?" - out at second), or what is their favorite feature in
PostgreSQL("Joins!" - out at third).  I am more interested in in their knowhow and interest in expanding their skills
thena mere certification.

However, for those who live in that sad world where certifications are a minimum entry level requirement, a
certificationcreated by community consensus makes sense, so long as the criteria for certification are open and public.

Note:  The opinions above are mine and mine alone, and do not reflect any official position of AWeber, its management,
oremployees.

Bob Lunney
Senior Database Engineer
AWeber Communications, LLC