Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database
Date
Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Artur Litwinowicz <admin@ybka.com> wrote:
>> Regarding a functional area I can help... but I can not understand why
>> this idea is so unappreciated?

> I think it's a bit unfair to say that this idea is unappreciated.

Well, there is the question of why we should re-invent the cron wheel.

> There are LOTS of good features that we don't have yet simply because
> nobody's had time to implement them.

Implementation work is only part of it.  Any large feature will create
an ongoing, distributed maintenance overhead.  It seems entirely
possible to me that we'd not accept such a feature even if someone
dropped a working implementation on us.

But having said that, it's not apparent to me why such a thing would
need to live "inside the database" at all.  It's very easy to visualize
a task scheduler that runs as a client and requires nothing new from the
core code.  Approaching the problem that way would let the scheduler
be an independent project that stands or falls on its own merits.