Re: SQL99 hierarchical queries stalled - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SQL99 hierarchical queries stalled
Date
Re: SQL99 hierarchical queries stalled  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@skype.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@skype.net> writes:
> On T, 2005-05-17 at 00:42 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I seem to recall some discussion of how to do this in the past;
>> have you trolled the pghackers archives?

> I think that Jasons inspiration for doing it came from the the fact that
> there are already now abandoned patches for doing  it.

Having looked over the latest patch, my advice would be to ignore it :-(
It's almost completely devoid of documentation, except for comments
that he copied-and-pasted from elsewhere without modification.  Wrong
comments are even worse than none.

What I'd like to see before anyone writes a line of code is a text
document explaining how this is going to work: what's the plan tree
structure, what happens at execution time, how much of the SQL99 spec
is going to get implemented.  If you don't have that understanding
first, you're going to get buried in irrelevant details.