Re: SQL99 hierarchical queries stalled - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: SQL99 hierarchical queries stalled
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Hannu Krosing <hannu@skype.net> writes:
> > On T, 2005-05-17 at 00:42 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I seem to recall some discussion of how to do this in the past;
> >> have you trolled the pghackers archives?
>
> > I think that Jasons inspiration for doing it came from the the fact that
> > there are already now abandoned patches for doing  it.
>
> Having looked over the latest patch, my advice would be to ignore it :-(
> It's almost completely devoid of documentation, except for comments
> that he copied-and-pasted from elsewhere without modification.  Wrong
> comments are even worse than none.
>
> What I'd like to see before anyone writes a line of code is a text
> document explaining how this is going to work: what's the plan tree
> structure, what happens at execution time, how much of the SQL99 spec
> is going to get implemented.  If you don't have that understanding
> first, you're going to get buried in irrelevant details.

I have updated the developer's FAQ to cover these suggestions on how to
start a patch:
 1.4) What do I do after choosing an item to work on?
 Send an email to pgsql-hackers with a proposal for what you want to do (assuming your contribution is not trivial).
Workingin isolation is not advisable because others might be working on the same TODO item, or you might have
misunderstoodthe TODO item. In the email, discuss both the internal implementation method you plan to use, and any
user-visiblechanges (new syntax, etc). For complex patches, it is important to get community feeback on your proposal
beforestarting work. Failure to do so might mean your patch is rejected.

Pennsylvania19073