Re: HOT patch, missing things - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: HOT patch, missing things
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> "Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>>> We also need something that will re-zero the stats when they reach
>>> anywhere near integer overflow, since we must not allow them to wrap. I
>>> would suggest we simply reset all values to zero for that table.
>>
>> pgstat counters are int64.

> You would prefer undefined behaviour at wrap?

You should live so long as to have a problem with it.  Do the math:
at one increment every nanosecond, 24x7x365, you'd be risking overflow
after about 300 years of continuous initdb-less operation.  For someone
opining that important features are OK to omit from HOT for 8.3, I have
to question your judgment in worrying about this.

(In point of fact, I'd expect a database to wrap its WAL LSN counter
long before any particular pgstat counter could overflow.  Someday we
might want to worry about that, but probably not in my lifetime.)