Re: HOT patch, missing things - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: HOT patch, missing things
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> "Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> >>
> >> pgstat counters are int64.
>
> > You would prefer undefined behaviour at wrap?
>
> You should live so long as to have a problem with it.  Do the math:
> at one increment every nanosecond, 24x7x365, you'd be risking overflow
> after about 300 years of continuous initdb-less operation.  For someone
> opining that important features are OK to omit from HOT for 8.3, I have
> to question your judgment in worrying about this.

I'm not worried about it, but I was mistaken in thinking you might be.

If you're OK with HOT as-is, then sure, I'll have partial indexes too
and much more besides. The question is: are you OK with HOT as-is?
Should we take it further? How far?

--  Simon Riggs EnterpriseDB  http://www.enterprisedb.com