Re: 7.4? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.4?
Date
Re: 7.4?  ("Ed L." <pgsql@bluepolka.net>)
Re: 7.4?  (Hervé Piedvache <herve@elma.fr>)
List pgsql-general
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 22:44, Ed L. wrote:
>> And do I understand correctly the replication to be eventually
>> included will be an embedded syncronous replication solution based on
>> Postgres-R and the Spread GCS?

> No, I don't think that's set in stone (although I can't speak for the
> core team). While I think Postgres-R is promising, there might be room
> for additional replication implementations that cater to different sets
> of requirements.

There absolutely *is* room for multiple replication implementations.
AFAICS there's no one-size-fits-all approach.  I did and still do like
Postgres-R as a pretty useful approach, but it should not be mistaken
for The One True Path.

Also, there are nontrivial licensing issues involved.  The PG-R design
depends on an underlying "group communication" system, which is a
nontrivial bit of software that none of the core team wants to rewrite.
But none of the available GC systems are BSD-license open source.  We
had had some hopes of getting Spread to offer BSD terms, but that seems
to have fallen through.  So right now, PG-R is on the outside looking
in, as far as inclusion in the core distribution goes :-(

            regards, tom lane