Re: 7.4? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ed L.
Subject Re: 7.4?
Date
Re: 7.4?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday February 25 2003 11:52, Tom Lane wrote:

> Also, there are nontrivial licensing issues involved.  The PG-R
> design depends on an underlying "group communication" system, which
> is a nontrivial bit of software that none of the core team wants to
> rewrite. But none of the available GC systems are BSD-license open
> source.  We had had some hopes of getting Spread to offer BSD
> terms, but that seems to have fallen through.  So right now, PG-R
> is on the outside looking in, as far as inclusion in the core
> distribution goes :-(

Is anyone aware of particular reasons why the group is pushing on a
syncronous solution?  I'm sure they have good reasons, but I would've
assumed an asyncronous solution would be far more applicable for
simple redundancy as opposed to syncronicity for high-performance
clusters, not too mention being far simpler implementations.

Ed