Re: 7.4? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hervé Piedvache
Subject Re: 7.4?
Date
Re: 7.4?  ("Ed L." <pgsql@bluepolka.net>)
Re: 7.4?  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Le Mercredi 26 Février 2003 07:52, Tom Lane a écrit :
> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> > On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 22:44, Ed L. wrote:
> >> And do I understand correctly the replication to be eventually
> >> included will be an embedded syncronous replication solution based on
> >> Postgres-R and the Spread GCS?
> >
> > No, I don't think that's set in stone (although I can't speak for the
> > core team). While I think Postgres-R is promising, there might be room
> > for additional replication implementations that cater to different sets
> > of requirements.
>
> There absolutely *is* room for multiple replication implementations.
> AFAICS there's no one-size-fits-all approach.  I did and still do like
> Postgres-R as a pretty useful approach, but it should not be mistaken
> for The One True Path.
>
> Also, there are nontrivial licensing issues involved.  The PG-R design
> depends on an underlying "group communication" system, which is a
> nontrivial bit of software that none of the core team wants to rewrite.
> But none of the available GC systems are BSD-license open source.  We
> had had some hopes of getting Spread to offer BSD terms, but that seems
> to have fallen through.  So right now, PG-R is on the outside looking
> in, as far as inclusion in the core distribution goes :-(
>
>             regards, tom lane

You mean the PG-R project will no be included in the PostgreSQL project
unless someone rewrite the Spread GCS concept or similar system in a BSD
licence ?

What a bad news for the community ... ! :o(

PG-R seems to be the best integrated solution of the moment ... Still a lot
of work ... but Darren and others are making a real good job !

DBMirror or rserv (commercial application) seems to be only triggers, and
little demon not included in PostgreSQL system ... as PG-R is ...

PostgreSQL really need an official Replication solution to be definitively
secured in a productive environnement ... and I think I'm not the only one
thinking like that ... looking the survey of Postgres.org web site :
http://www.postgresql.org/survey.php?View=1&SurveyID=9
--
Hervé Piedvache

Elma Ingénierie Informatique