Re: More schema queries - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: More schema queries
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
>> I'm still interested in why explicitly saying "create view
>> pg_catalog.foo" didn't work ...

> I've just been playing with this as you suggested, and using an initdb
> with both 'create view foo' and 'create view pg_catalog.bar', with the
> -- style switch I get (for both types of view):

> namespace_search_path   = $user,public
> newRelation->schemaname = null
> namespaceId             = 2200 (public)

> So I guess the problem is a combination of the getopt() that we've
> already found, and schemaname being null in the newRelation structure.

Given that getopt wasn't working, I'd expect namespace_search_path to be
that, and since there won't be any $user view at initdb time, public
should be the default creation target.  For "create view foo",
newRelation->schemaname *should* be null and thus public would be
selected.  But if you say "create view pg_catalog.foo" then
newRelation->schemaname should be "pg_catalog".  Can you trace it back a
little further and try to see why it's not?  It works fine here AFAICT,
so I'm wondering about portability problems ...