Re: Is 7.3 a good time to increase NAMEDATALEN ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Is 7.3 a good time to increase NAMEDATALEN ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 21 May 2002 11:41:26 -0400
"Joel Burton" <joel@joelburton.com> wrote:
> Noticed that increasing NAMEDATALEN to 128 is still on the TODO.

The last benchmarks I saw indicate that there's still a significant
performance hit when increasing NAMEDATALEN, whether to 64 or 128.

Given that only a small percentage of PostgreSQL users need long
identifiers, and *everyone* would suffer the performance hit, I'd
rather that we not touch NAMEDATALEN until more work has been
done on attempting to reduce the performance penalty.

Until then, the people who absolutely, positively must have long
identifiers can just raise NAMEDATALEN themselves.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>