Re: Connexion to Postgresql using TCP/IP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Connexion to Postgresql using TCP/IP
Date
List pgsql-general
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Secr=E9tariat?= <ets@rolland-fr.com> writes:
> I edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql,
> and I replace the values for PGDATA with the path to my database.
> Now I can connect the PC when I use :
> service postgresql start

> It was due to an update from PG 7.3 to PG 7.4 who has modified the init
> script postgresql !

That's exactly why it's considered a bad idea to edit an init script
directly --- since it's a package-supplied file, it'll be overwritten
any time you update the package.

> Is it possible to avaid this problem by using the :
> /etc/sysconfig/pgsql

That's what it's for --- you put the variable definitions in there
instead, and they'll not be touched in a package update.

            regards, tom lane