Connexion to Postgresql using TCP/IP

From
Secrétariat
Date:
Hello !

I use a PostgreSQL server 7.4 on Linux Mandrake 10 with IP 192.168.0.15,
a database gestix is created.
An PostegreSQL user "postgres" id defined on this server,
I add in the .bash_profile of this user the line :
PGDATA=$HOME/data; export PGDATA
My PC have IP 192.168.0.10.
in postgresql.conf I have :
tcpip_socket = true
in pg_hba.conf I add :
host  all  all  192.168.0.10  255.255.255.255  trust
(I know, I shoul'd use better identification, it's for testing)

When I log as postgres if I use :
pg_ctl start
the postmaster is coming up,
I can connect from the PC with PgAdmin3 under Windows XP.

On automatic startup, or when I use :
service postgresql start
I can't connect from the PC. I get the message :
FATAL : no pg_hba.conf entry for host "192.168.0.10", user "postgres", database "gestix", SSL off

I don't understand my error (probably I made one ?)
I'm becoming mad !

What's the matter ?

Best regards.

Luc ROLLAND

Re: Connexion to Postgresql using TCP/IP

Date:
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Secr=E9tariat?= <ets@rolland-fr.com> writes:
> I use a PostgreSQL server 7.4 on Linux Mandrake 10 with IP 192.168.0.15,
> a database gestix is created.
> An PostegreSQL user "postgres" id defined on this server,
> I add in the .bash_profile of this user the line :
> PGDATA=$HOME/data; export PGDATA

> When I log as postgres if I use :
> pg_ctl start
> the postmaster is coming up,
> I can connect from the PC with PgAdmin3 under Windows XP.

> On automatic startup, or when I use :
> service postgresql start
> I can't connect from the PC.

It sounds like the service-start case is picking a different data
directory than you're expecting --- likely /var/lib/postgres, or
whatever the installation default is.

I'm not sure what's in Mandrake 10, but I can tell you that in the Red
Hat RPMs, putting a PGDATA definition into ~/.bash_profile did not work
until very very recently.  The init script did
    su - postgres -s /bin/sh -c "postmaster ..."
thus forcing /bin/sh to be used, and /bin/sh won't pay any attention
to ~/.bash_profile.

This is fixed in recent RPMs (basically by removing "-s /bin/sh"), or
you can dodge the problem by copying the variable definitions into
regular sh's ~/.profile.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Connexion to Postgresql using TCP/IP

From
Secrétariat
> > I use a PostgreSQL server 7.4 on Linux Mandrake 10 with IP 192.168.0.15,
> > a database gestix is created.
> > An PostegreSQL user "postgres" id defined on this server,
> > I add in the .bash_profile of this user the line :
> > PGDATA=$HOME/data; export PGDATA
>
> > When I log as postgres if I use :
> > pg_ctl start
> > the postmaster is coming up,
> > I can connect from the PC with PgAdmin3 under Windows XP.
>
> > On automatic startup, or when I use :
> > service postgresql start
> > I can't connect from the PC.
>
> It sounds like the service-start case is picking a different data
> directory than you're expecting --- likely /var/lib/postgres, or
> whatever the installation default is.
>
> I'm not sure what's in Mandrake 10, but I can tell you that in the Red
> Hat RPMs, putting a PGDATA definition into ~/.bash_profile did not work
> until very very recently.  The init script did
> su - postgres -s /bin/sh -c "postmaster ..."
> thus forcing /bin/sh to be used, and /bin/sh won't pay any attention
> to ~/.bash_profile.
>
> This is fixed in recent RPMs (basically by removing "-s /bin/sh"), or
> you can dodge the problem by copying the variable definitions into
> regular sh's ~/.profile.
>
> regards, tom lane

You are perfectly right !

I edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql,
and I replace the values for PGDATA with the path to my database.
Now I can connect the PC when I use :
service postgresql start

It was due to an update from PG 7.3 to PG 7.4 who has modified the init
script postgresql !
Is it possible to avaid this problem by using the :
/etc/sysconfig/pgsql
How ?

On Mandrake 9.2 & 10 putting PGDATA in the .bash_profile file,
works when using the pg_ctl command in the command line (if using bash for
this user).

Many thanks !

Date:
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Secr=E9tariat?= <ets@rolland-fr.com> writes:
> I edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql,
> and I replace the values for PGDATA with the path to my database.
> Now I can connect the PC when I use :
> service postgresql start

> It was due to an update from PG 7.3 to PG 7.4 who has modified the init
> script postgresql !

That's exactly why it's considered a bad idea to edit an init script
directly --- since it's a package-supplied file, it'll be overwritten
any time you update the package.

> Is it possible to avaid this problem by using the :
> /etc/sysconfig/pgsql

That's what it's for --- you put the variable definitions in there
instead, and they'll not be touched in a package update.

            regards, tom lane