Re: bytea vs. pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: bytea vs. pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I vote for a new bytea.h file that does not slurp in byteain/byteaout,
> to avoid breaking 3rd party code.  miscadmin.h seems the worst solution,
> since it's already included in 210 other files.

Well, unless you want to leave *all* the bytea functions in builtins.h
there will still be some risk there.  I'd actually sooner break calls
of byteaout than other things, because in reality every caller of
byteaout is going to need to be inspected to see if it's expecting
the old-style output format.