Re: email built in type - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: email built in type
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Can't you do what you want as a local add-on?

> I guess that for manage efficiently million of email addresses I need
> to have a built in type instead of a domain with a regex as validator,

You probably ought to do some measurements before assuming that.

> considering also that I wish select email for domain like:
> select * from users where email >> 'hotmail.com';

I don't think you need write a line of C code for that either;
a functional index would do the job.

But even if you want to do it as a custom datatype, it can be an
*add on*.  Postgres is designed for extension in-the-field and
I see nothing here that requires the type to be built in.  See all
the examples in contrib (I think there are some on gborg as well).