Re: Comments on all system objects - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Comments on all system objects
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Is there any reason I shouldn't submit a patch that makes it so that we
> have comments on 100% of the catalog objects?

Bulk?  Redundancy with the SGML documentation?

There are already more than enough places to have to edit documentation
when we change/add a column in a system catalog.  I don't see the value
of adding another, especially not one that's constrained to one line.
And what will comments on, say, system indexes contribute really?

I think we are fairly close to having some kind of comment on nearly all
the built-in functions and operators (though far too many of those
comments are useless boilerplate that we could just as well do without).
Cleaning up any omissions in that area doesn't seem like a bad project.
But I question the value of extending the policy to other sorts of
objects.