Re: A celebrity among us :-) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: A celebrity among us :-)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> http://orbiten.org/ofss/01.html for reference.

> Good for grins, if nothing else.

And little else.  I think the reason I'm up there is just that there are
a ton of open-source programs that have incorporated libjpeg.  AFAICT
the survey just counted copyright notices appearing in open-source
distributions; so if your code appears in N programs you get N times as
much credit as you should.  I certainly don't have more lines of open
source circulating than MIT does...

> (Tom, yes I _did_ have to do that... :-) :-) ).

No you didn't... this survey is too bogus to deserve quoting.  (If
they're going to treat groups like FSF and the entire UC system as a
single author, and *draw conclusions that are stated as though they
believed FSF and UC are single authors*, what use is it?  They have
a lot of work to do.)
        regards, tom lane        organizer, Independent JPEG Group