Re: patch adding new regexp functions - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: patch adding new regexp functions
Date
List pgsql-patches
Jeremy Drake <pgsql@jdrake.com> writes:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Tom Lane wrote:
>> By and large we tend to hard-wire those properties too, eg there are
>> plenty of places that do things like this:

> So, what action (if any) should be taken?  Should all (or some) of these
> values be hardcoded, or should the current calls to determine them be left
> in place?

I'd vote for making this new code look like the rest of it, to wit
hardwire the values.  As-is, you're expending code space and cycles
on flexibility that's entirely illusory --- if we ever decided to
change these properties of TEXT, we'd have way more work to do than
just fixing the new regexp functions.

            regards, tom lane