Re: TODO questions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: TODO questions
Date
Re: TODO questions  (Oliver Jowett <oliver@opencloud.com>)
Re: TODO questions  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> writes:
> The most unambiguous behavior would be to not have
> commented out values in the config file at all.

Yeah, Robert Treat suggested that upthread, and I think it's been pushed
by others too.

The only argument I can see against it is that it'll take longer for the
system to process such a file; but do we really care about a few more
microseconds to respond to SIGHUP?

This does not address the problem that changing PGC_POSTMASTER values in
the file won't do anything without a postmaster restart.  Greg Stark's
suggestion of marking each PGC_POSTMASTER variable with a warning
comment in postgresql.conf seems reasonable to me, though.

So, the low-tech solution to these gripes seems to be:* uncomment all the entries in postgresql.conf* add comments to
flagthe values that can't be changed by SIGHUP

Can we agree on taking these measures?