Re: TODO questions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oliver Jowett
Subject Re: TODO questions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> So, the low-tech solution to these gripes seems to be:
>     * uncomment all the entries in postgresql.conf
>     * add comments to flag the values that can't be changed by SIGHUP
>
> Can we agree on taking these measures?

Doesn't this still mean that a SIGHUP may give you a different
configuration to a full restart, even if you don't touch any of the
values that can't be changed via SIGHUP?

Perhaps we could stick with the current commented-out-defaults scheme if
SIGHUP reset all settings to their compiled-in defaults before rereading
the config file, i.e. the same logic as normal startup would do (except
for those cases where we can't change a setting at runtime).

-O