Re: bytea vs. pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: bytea vs. pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 12:18 AM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> One other stylistic gripe: I don't much like inserting a GUC variable
>> definition into builtins.h --- that file has traditionally only
>> contained function extern declarations. �The best alternative I can
>> think of is to move the bytea-related stuff into a new include file
>> include/utils/bytea.h. �Has anyone got an objection or a better idea?

> The other guc that controls default i/o formats for a data type is
> DateStyle. I can't say I expected to find that in miscadmin.h though.
> Perhaps move both of them into a utils/adt.h or something like that?

Hmm, actually now that you mention it there's a bunch of GUC variables
in miscadmin.h.  Surprise factor aside, I'm inclined to just shove
bytea_output in there along with DateStyle/IntervalStyle/etc.

I did try the new-include-file approach, and unsurprisingly found three
or four files that had to be modified to include it, because they'd been
expecting to find byteain and byteaout declared in builtins.h.  I still
think that way is a bit cleaner, but I'm not sure it's enough cleaner to
risk breaking third-party code for.