Re: [HACKERS] empty dates and changing the default date behaviour - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] empty dates and changing the default date behaviour
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Willy De la Court <Willy.DelaCourt@pandora.be> writes:
> I want to change the default behaviour of the data_in function without
> recompiling postgres.  the functionality is the following.

> create table test (d date);
> insert into test values ('');

> this should result in the field d containing NULL and the insert
> command should work without returning an error.

Not possible at present, since a datatype's typinput function can't
return a NULL.  I suppose it will be possible after we redo the
function manager interface, but in any case you'd have no hope of
changing the behavior "without recompiling postgres".