Re: Differences in Unicode handling on Mac vs Linux? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Differences in Unicode handling on Mac vs Linux?
Date
Re: Differences in Unicode handling on Mac vs Linux?  (Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Matt Daw <matt@shotgunsoftware.com> writes:
> Howdy, I loaded a client's DB on my Mac to debug an unrelated bug, but
> I'm blocked because my Mac is rejecting SQL that works on our Linux
> production servers. Here's a simple case:

> # select * from shots where sg_poznÁmka is NULL;
> ERROR:  column "sg_pozn�mka" does not exist
> LINE 1: select * from shots where sg_poznÁmka is NULL;

Hm ... what does "\d shots" say about the spelling of the column name?

> Anything else I could double-check? Or are there any known Mac-related
> Unicode issues?

OS X's Unicode locales are pretty crummy.  I'm suspicious that there's
some sort of case-folding inconsistency here, but it's hard to say more
(especially since you didn't actually tell us *which* locales you've
selected on each machine).  If it is that, as a short-term fix it might
help to double-quote the column name.

            regards, tom lane