Re: Differences in Unicode handling on Mac vs Linux? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matt Daw
Subject Re: Differences in Unicode handling on Mac vs Linux?
Date
List pgsql-general
> Hm ... what does "\d shots" say about the spelling of the column name?

\d shots is the same on both systems:

 sg_poznÁmka                                      | text

> OS X's Unicode locales are pretty crummy.  I'm suspicious that there's
> some sort of case-folding inconsistency here, but it's hard to say more
> (especially since you didn't actually tell us *which* locales you've
> selected on each machine).  If it is that, as a short-term fix it might
> help to double-quote the column name.

The locales are set to "en_US.UTF-8" and encodings to "UTF8". Double
quoting does solve the column case, but it's not helping with the
Rails generated:

SELECT a.attname, format_type(a.atttypid, a.atttypmod), d.adsrc, a.attnotnull
              FROM pg_attribute a LEFT JOIN pg_attrdef d
                ON a.attrelid = d.adrelid AND a.attnum = d.adnum
             WHERE a.attrelid =
'asset_sg_kdo_dělá____assigned_to__connections'::regclass
               AND a.attnum > 0 AND NOT a.attisdropped
             ORDER BY a.attnum

... that produces:

ERROR:  relation "asset_sg_kdo_d�l�____assigned_to__connections" does not exist

\d produces:

 public | asset_sg_kdo_dělá____assigned_to__connections
| table    | matt

For the short term, I think I'll boot up a Linux VM to troubleshoot my
production bug... but I'll submit a bug report with repro steps.

Thanks Tom!

Matt