Re: [HACKERS] Re: PostgreSQL install - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: PostgreSQL install
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@wallace.ece.rice.edu> writes:
>> Yeah, basically it looks like:
>> ./configure
>> make
>> make install
>> instaldb

> I seem to remember from your other post that you did get this last command
> right: initdb

Two other thoughts: (1) is initdb in your path, and is the *right
version* the first one in your path (I've been burnt by that on
upgrades).  (2) I think that initdb requires USER, PGLIB, PGDATA
env variables to be set properly for reliable operation; also PATH
had better find the new version of postgres, psql, etc before any
older versions.

If that doesn't strike gold, a copy of the failing initdb session's
printout would be useful.