Re: PostgreSQL install - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: PostgreSQL install
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Re: PostgreSQL install  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hey Hackers -
I wouldn't normally forward an install problem from general to the
hackers list, but Chris is the database guy at Digital Creations, the
company behind Zope, the really cool web app. building tool, that Sybase
recently endorsed as their offical web frontend. Any of you FreeBSD
types recognize the problem?

Ross

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 11:49:03PM -0500, Christopher Petrilli wrote:
> On 11/16/99 11:35 PM, Ross J. Reedstrom at reedstrm@wallace.ece.rice.edu
> wrote:
>
> > Chris -
> > Did I see you post to postgresql-general, looking for help with an install
> > on one of the BSDs? I seem to have had a snafu with my email clients, and
> > lost a few emails today (Mutt doesn't lock files properly...) so I can't
> > find the exact mail. If you haven't resolved the build/install problem,
> > let me know: a number of the core developers run various BSD flavors
> > (www.postgresql.org is FreeBSD, for example) so this should be easily
> > resolvable, although I run linux, myself.
>
> Yeah, basically it looks like:
>
> ./configure
> make
> make install
> instaldb

I seem to remember from your other post that you did get this last command
right: initdb

However, it is critical that initdb be run as the postgres user, rather
than as root. Other than that, I don't know. I'll forward your message
to the hackers list.

Ah, one last thought: how do you set up access to shared libraries
on FreeBSD?  the make install will have dropped several libs in
/usr/local/pgsql/lib that the executables need access to.

> Dosn't create the PG_VERSION files, nor the pg_user tables correctly... I
> tried it on 3 different FreeBSD3.3 machines each downloaded seperately...
> bizarre.

And as I recall, this is the pgsql-6.5.3 tar ball.