Re: BUG #3320: Error when using INSERT...RETURNING as a subquery - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #3320: Error when using INSERT...RETURNING as a subquery
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> writes:
> On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 18:10 +0100, Gregory Stark wrote:
>> It has the same problem that SELECT triggers have. How many rows should you
>> expect that subquery to insert, update, or delete if it's used in a join
>> clause? Or in the where clause of another insert/update/delete statement?

> We could handle it essentially like a volatile set-returning function.

Uh-huh.  Please provide a concise, accurate definition of what that
does.  For extra points, be sure it describes the behavior of all recent
Postgres versions.  (And after that, we could argue about whether we
actually *like* the described behavior ... which I'll bet we won't.)

            regards, tom lane