Re: BUG #3320: Error when using INSERT...RETURNING as a subquery - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: BUG #3320: Error when using INSERT...RETURNING as a subquery
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 18:10 +0100, Gregory Stark wrote:
> It has the same problem that SELECT triggers have. How many rows should you
> expect that subquery to insert, update, or delete if it's used in a join
> clause? Or in the where clause of another insert/update/delete statement?

We could handle it essentially like a volatile set-returning function.

It may be easy to shoot oneself in the foot, but that is true for many
uses of volatile functions.

If the argument is that we shouldn't make it any easier, that's a fair
point, but this is one possible definition.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis