Re: [HACKERS] For review: Server instrumentation patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] For review: Server instrumentation patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Interesting.  I wonder why the function is not defined instead with OUT
> parameters.

Because bootstrap mode isn't capable of dealing with array columns,
so you can't define stuff in pg_proc.h that sets up an array of OUT
parameter types.  I tried to apply that idea for the pg_locks function
a month or two ago, but it blew up in my face :-(.

It'd be nice to fix this sometime, but not while we are so far past
feature freeze.

            regards, tom lane