Re: Diferent databases on same query... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From chrup@mac.com
Subject Re: Diferent databases on same query...
Date
List pgsql-sql
Andre,

The only reason to have data for one query in different databases is if
the databases are on different machines. If you're running on PC-type
hardware, you might have to do that some times for performance reasons.
But if at that point, you should ask yourself if you shouldn't invest in
some faster hardware ;-).

Best regards (Tschüs),
Chris

On Friday, October 19, 2001, at 02:05 , Andre Schnabel wrote:

> "Douglas Rafael da Silva" <douglas@inducola.com.br> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to do a query where can be possible I access tables from
>> diferent databases on the same query.
>> On MySQL, I do:
>>
>> SELECT People1.PersID, People1.Name, Result1.Value, Result1.Date FROM
>> Database1.People1, Database2.Result1 WHERE ...
>>
>> I think on ORACLE works like as:
>>
>> SELECT People1.PersID, People1.Name, Result1.Value, Result1.Date FROM
>> People1@Database1, Result1@Database2 WHERE ...
>>
>> But Who I can to do this on Postgresql ?
>>

> You CANNOT do that with PostgreSQL.
> But why do you want to do that? IMHO it's a rather bas design to hold data
> in different places, if you need to select them in one query.
> Is there a real reason to hold the tables in different databases?
>
> Andre

Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre