Re: Orphaned statements issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Orphaned statements issue
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> I would take that to mean that it's waiting on the client.

> You mean that the client timed out and isn't accepting data from the
> query anymore?

No, if the backend is in RECV state, it's waiting for the client to
*send* it something.

(Although if this is an SSL connection, it's a bit harder to be sure
about what the logical state of the connection is.)

> Shouldn't Postgres time out on that after a while?

Not if the problem is the client is confused.  As long as the remote-end
kernel doesn't indicate the connection is dead, we'll wait for the
client to wake up and send us a command.