Re: SSI and Hot Standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: SSI and Hot Standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kevin,

> So, based on a more complete description of the issues, any more
> opinions on whether to generate the error, as suggested by Heikki?

If it's a choice between generating an error and letting users see
inconsistent data, I'll take the former.

> Does anyone think this justifies the compatibility GUC as suggested
> by Jeff?

I think it might, yes.  Since someone could simply turn on the backwards
compatibility flag for 9.1 and turn it off for 9.2, rather than trying
to mess with transaction states which might be set in application code.

Unfortunately, people have not responded to our survey :-(
http://www.postgresql.org/community/survey.77

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com