Re: BUG #17837: The potential risks associated with executing "commit" in a procedure. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #17837: The potential risks associated with executing "commit" in a procedure.
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> Recently, I have noticed that executing "commit" in a procedure calls
> PreCommit_Portals in the kernel, which sets the resowner of the top level
> portal to null. However, subsequent statements still use this portal, and
> its resowner remains null. Is there any risk associated with this or could
> it lead to unexpected behavior?

I do not see any reason to believe there's a bug here.  After the
COMMIT, CurrentResourceOwner won't be pointing at the portal's
resowner anymore, but at a resowner belonging to the newly-started
transaction (cf AtStart_ResourceOwner).  The portal's resowner would
only have been used for resources that went away at commit, so it's
not needed anymore.  Nor is there any code that would try to
re-install that resowner as active.

            regards, tom lane