RE: suggestion: docs and psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject RE: suggestion: docs and psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > > Hmm, we could try to mess around with that. I've been
> thinking about
> > > extending the help display a little to include at least
> some narrative but
> > > that almost requires a full SGML parser. Now, if someone
> wants to write a
> > > DSSSL stylesheet for psql's purposes ... ;)
>
> Hmm. We could convert the docs to XML (the wave of the future, someday
> ;), then start using XML for the frontend/backend protocol (I've read
> that M$ and others claim to be doing this, though I'm not sure why
> they want to take the hit on the fat ascii tagging typical with XML).

In the case of Microsoft, they support XML if you want to (so you can query
it right away from your browser (IE, of course...) without the need for a
client library - e.g. "http://servername/somedb?sql=<SQL QUERY>"), but the
native format of the client libraries (such as OLE DB or ODBC) is still TDS.

I guess it makes sense in the way that you can do everything from the
browser without running any code on the webserver (cgi/asp/whatever).

//Magnus