Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem?
Date
Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem?  (Philip Warner <pjw@rhyme.com.au>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Is it my imagination, or is there a problem with the way pg_dump uses off_t
> etc. My understanding is that off_t may be 64 bits on systems with 32 bit
> ints. But it looks like pg_dump writes them as 4 byte values in all cases.
> It also reads them as 4 byte values. Does this seem like a problem to
> anybody else?

Yes, it does --- the implication is that the custom format, at least,
can't support dumps > 4Gb.  What exactly is pg_dump writing off_t's
into files for; maybe there's not really a problem?

If there is a problem, seems like we'd better fix it.  Perhaps there
needs to be something in the header to tell the reader the sizeof
off_t.