Re: Should SET ROLE inherit config params? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Should SET ROLE inherit config params?
Date
Re: Should SET ROLE inherit config params?  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> I think this is way over-engineered.  All we really need here is a
> command along the lines of RESET ALL AS CURRENT USER that gives every
> GUC the value it would have had if you logged in under the current
> user's account.  Simple, clean, no new keywords.

Doesn't do anything for autovacuum though...

BTW, does pg_dumpall know to dump ALTER USER SET settings attached
to built-in roles (such as the proposed "autovacuum" role)?  I'd bet
it doesn't do that.  Even if it does, that seems like a more awkward
way to push settings over to a new installation than copying your
postgresql.conf file.

Simon's idea of "profiles" sounds worth pursuing to me, but clearly
it's not happening for 8.4.