Re: Possible PostgreSQL 8.3beta4 bug with MD5 authentication in psql? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Possible PostgreSQL 8.3beta4 bug with MD5 authentication in psql?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org> writes:
> Just to add a note to that - when running it in the same shell from
> which I started the server with messages going to stdout, it seemed
> clear that it trys to connect once using PGPASSWORD, then when that
> fails, it prompts for the password instead, and then tries to connect
> with that and fails a second time.

Hmmm ... it seems the problem is that we've defined
PQconnectionUsedPassword in such a way that it returns true (causing a
prompt) regardless of whether the reason for the connection failure was
a bad password or not.  We might need to reconsider that API.