Re: pg_terminate_backend idea - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_terminate_backend idea
Date
Re: pg_terminate_backend idea
List pgsql-hackers
"Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
> But it still requires me to send some data (such as a dummy query) to
> the backend before it exits. This is because server side libpq blocks
> when reading and ignores signals at this time. I believe the fix for
> this would be to pass a flag down to the libpq routines that we want to
> be abort in case of signal+flag, set only when doing the "main call" to
> recv, so we can kill idle process.

Yech!  That code is messy enough already, lets not pile another kluge
atop it in order to handle something that's not even being requested
AFAIR.

In any case the correct way to solve the problem is to find out what's
being left corrupt by SIGTERM, rather than install more messiness in
order to avoid facing the real issue ...