Re: Force streaming every change in logical decoding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: Force streaming every change in logical decoding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At Thu, 22 Dec 2022 16:59:30 +0900, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote in
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 4:18 PM Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
> <kuroda.hayato@fujitsu.com> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Amit,
> >
> > Thank you for updating the patch. I have also checked the patch
> > and basically it has worked well. Almost all things I found were modified
> > by v4.
> >
> > One comment: while setting logical_decoding_mode to wrong value,
> > I got unfriendly ERROR message.
> >
> > ```
> > postgres=# SET logical_decoding_mode = 1;
> > ERROR:  invalid value for parameter "logical_decoding_mode": "1"
> > HINT:  Available values: , immediate
> > ```
> >
> > Here all acceptable enum should be output as HINT, but we could not see the empty string.
> > Should we modify config_enum_get_options() for treating empty string, maybe
> > like (empty)?
>
> Good point. I think the hint message can say "The only allowed value
> is \"immediate\" as recovery_target does. Or considering the name of
> logical_decoding_mode, we might want to have a non-empty string, say
> 'normal' as Kuroda-san proposed, as the default value.

Oh. I missed this, and agree to have the explicit default option.
I slightly prefer "buffered" but "normal" also works fine for me.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center